Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Complaining Fast

I am so busy. Could they possibly give us anything else to sell? How do they expect us to take care of all of this? Everywhere you kids go you leave a mess behind. Hey...how 'bout someone help me with supper!?!

I'm complaining fast, because I'm getting ready to go on a "complaining fast". Yeah, a fast from complaining.

Last Wednesday, John, our head brethren (pastor), told us a story about a church that went on a 21 day "complaining fast"...and if at anytime during the fast, they complained, they had to start all over.

I felt convicted as John told the story, but decided to chalk it up as just that...a nice story. However, God keeps bringing it up. For instance, this morning I grabbed my devotion, it was titled "Quit Complaining". I griped about that and put it back down, and grabbed another devotion. It's key scripture was this Proverbs 21:23 "Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles."

A couple of days ago, I told my co-workers that I was thinking about doing this fast so they've already started holding me accountable. I did a trial run today...it didn't go very well. I already started trying to disguise my complaints as "concerning observations".

God tells us not to complain...I don't think that means that we can't express legitimate concerns. So, even though I was being silly in the above paragraph, I really am struggling with what registers as a complaint, and what doesn't. I know there have been many times in the past during conversations, when I've had opportunity to complain, and the Holy Spirit has prompted me to, "keep quiet". So I'm gonna do my best to listen to the Holy Spirit's promptings and NOT complain. The book of James tells us not to be just "hearers" of the Word, but to be "doers" of the Word. It supposedly takes 21 days to form a new habit, so we'll see!

After I go through the "complaining fast", my goal is to do a "worry fast", and then a "slander fast", and then an "argue fast". Several years ago the praise team ministered at Oregon Baptist Church in Terre Haute, and I remember that I talked about how "abundant" our life would be if we would just practice obedience in these areas...don't complain, don't argue, don't worry.

So would any of you like to go on this journey with me? You can pick your own start and end date. Whether you let me know, or do it on your own, I hope you accept the challenge.

Now I guess I'll go get started on this stupid, stinkin' fast. :-)

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Ready set go! I am right there with you sister. This is the verse God has put in my heart for me and Brenna. She doesn't know it but this is the verse I am giving her for her birthday this year. Phil. 2:14-16a "Do everything without without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life" I will be praying for us! Love ya
Gretchen