Thursday, August 23, 2007

Moses

This month, John, our pastor is preaching a sermon series on Moses, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. During it, he mentioned a quote from Dwight L. Moody, and I could relate to it. The quote was this:

"Moses spent his first forty years thinking he was somebody. He spent his second forty years learning he was a nobody. He spent his third forty years discovering what God can do with a nobody."

Though it hasn't been in 40 year increments, I have certainly recognized that same cycle in my own life. How encouraging it has been to revisit the story of Moses. To be reminded of where this man came from. To be reminded of how he messed up, just like we mess up. To be reminded of how he felt SO inadequate when God called him, just as we often feel inadequate to do the things that God calls us to do. Yet despite his mess ups, despite his feelings of inadequacy, despite his human frailty, God chose Him to be the vessel through which to reveal His glory. I know the scripture says that "Elijah was a man, just like us", but I believe that's applicable here as well, Moses was a man just like us. And God is no respector of persons, what He does for one, he'll do for another.

Father, help us to always trust you especially when we feel inadequate to do the things you call us to do. Help us to listen, and then obey, and watch in awe at what you can do through us when we are fully surrendered to you.

3 comments :

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

"and watch in awe at what You can do through us"- the most delightful thought to take me through my day!
I'm going to be WATCHING for Him!

JenniferLayne said...

I have a blog on Moses, too, but it's not nearly as spiritual as yours. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

If anyone reads this today (August 28th), it's Missy's birthday. I'm not saying how old she is but she only a decade away from being a half of a century old!! (sounds pretty old saying it that way, eh?) Happy Birtday Miss.