Saturday, November 21, 2009

Being Intentional about Being Thankful

It seems like this past year I have continually found myself "overwhelmed" by the busyness of life. Can anyone else relate to that? When I get like that, I typically want to quit everything, and curl up into a fetal postion and chant, "find a happy place, find a happy place." Ha.

Anyway, due to the "overwhelmed" feeling, often times when I go to the Lord in my quiet time, I tell Him how overwhelmed I am, and whine about that a little, and then I tell Him how much I have to do, and whine about that a little. Not that there's anything wrong with sharing your heart with God....we should do that. But I've done that a lot, all the while expressing very little gratitude to Him for other things.

So, on Wednesday, I read this post by my friend Marybeth, and I could totally relate to it. I left her a comment telling her that it "spoke" to me. That, in turn, started a conversation between us. I was having a bad day. So was she. Because of that, she issued a challenge for both of us. That we would be accountable to each other. That at the end of every day we would send an e-mail to each other telling the other one what we were thankful for that particular day. And we have to do it every day until Thanksgiving.

That was on Wednesday. Thursday morning I got up to spend time with God. As I sat there, I began to think about Marybeth's challenge, and I began thanking God for things in my life. I said, "I come to you today Lord, not asking for anything, but instead, just offering thanks to you."

One by one I mentioned, to Him, things that I am thankful for. And as I did that, something that I wasn't expecting to happen, happened. God showed up in a BIG way. I felt His presence. I felt His love. I stayed there in His presence for a while just soaking HIM up. And as a result, without even asking for it, I was refreshed. I was renewed. My overwhelmed feeling was completely gone, and one of peace completely replaced it.

Since then, Marybeth and I have kept our commitment to share each day what we are thankful for. We are being intentional about being thankful.

When is the last time you went before the Lord, and didn't ask Him for anything, but just expressed gratitude to Him?

Take it from me, don't wait any longer. Make it a point to give Him thanks. You'll be so glad you did.

Psalm 100:4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.

5 comments :

Kathy said...

That is VERY cool. I also find it interesting that you and I both wrote about being overwhelmed in the last week. ;-)

Jill Herald said...

I am completely in the same boat with things coming at me from so many directions, it's overwhelmingly nuts! But I wonder if this is stemming from the approaching Thanksgiving holiday....however, not in the traditional sense of "too much to do and not enough time" more in the respect of growing closer to God as we focus on giving thanks. Everytime our focus shifts to a mindset of thanksfulness we naturally draw closer to God and move into a better place. I am very sure that doesn't move Satan to his "happy place." I say this only because there are mass numbers of written posts on feeling overwhelmed and I also know that everyone of these people are actively focusing on being thankful...hmmm, just thought I'd share. Love you and may you be strengthened, find peace and experience true joy as you continue to view your day from a thankful heart.

Renee Swope said...

This is just what I needed to read today. Actually, I wish I'd read it sooner. Focusing on what we have and thanking Him for it makes all the difference. I posted a link to this on my facebook page and know it will encourage all who read it! You always bless me friend!

Renee

Wendy Pope said...

I am thankful for friends like you. Great reminder! Pray you are feeling a little less overwhelmed.

Unknown said...

You are so right.....I know God is present, but Satan likes to talk to me with Fear. I was flying to Kelli's a few weeks ago and Satan put the biggest fear in me I've had in awhile. The minute I tried to walk onto that airplane - he scared me with thoughts of "if I didn't make it to see Kelli and her new baby"....out of no where. Well God placed a Godly woman to sit by me and we had a great flight together. Then the minute I stepped back on the airplane to return - before Satan could even talk to me - I stopped him and said get behind me....I have a Lord that will take care of me!! I am so thankful for having Christ in my life!!!