Thursday, December 17, 2009

Here's to Doing What I Don't Understand

This month I had an article in the "P31 Woman" magazine. The article was called "Be Alert For Signs of His Presence", and basically talked about listening to and obeying God's promptings.

What I have found time and time again, is that often times when God calls me to do something, I don't "get" it. Often times, on the front end, I really don't understand why I have to do what He's asked me to do. A lot of times after it's all over, it will then make sense. But not always.

I'm writing about this right now because He's doing it again. At least if I'm hearing Him right, He's doing it again. Asking me to do something and I don't really understand why I have to. But because I love Him, and because He's asked me to do it, I'll do it.

"Lord, I don't even know if I'm hearing you right, but I know what I feel like I'm being led to do, and it's not something that I would want to do on my own, so why is the desire still there if not from you?"

Have you ever felt like that before? I have. Like the time HE told me to tell a complete stranger that I loved her. You can read about that here.

I'm encouraged to know that others can relate to this as well. This week another blogger left me a comment, so I hopped over to her blog to read her post, and in it she talked about how the Holy Spirit prompted her to give some towels away...and she thought "how strange". But she did it, and in the end she found out why.

I liked our Preacher's sermon this past week, when he was talking about being obedient to God's call on our lives. John mentioned that as we reflect back on a life of following God, that one might say, "well Lord, it wasn't what I had planned, but it certainly wasn't boring." Amen to that. Following God is anything BUT boring!

Thinking of that reminds me of an analogy that my friend Jill wrote about this week on her blog. I encourage you to hop over there and read it.

And in the meantime, here's to doing what I don't understand.

"Obedience is easy when you know you're being guided by a God who never makes mistakes." Corrie Ten Boom

Acts 8:29 The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it."

Acts 11:12 The Spirit told me to have no hesitation about going with them.

No comments :