Monday, June 25, 2007

The Serious Side of She Speaks

“Wow”…that’s what I have to say regarding this year’s She Speaks conference. The conference is put on by Proverbs 31 Ministries. If you’ve never heard of them, I encourage you to check them out at www.proverbs31.org. I know that these women aren’t perfect, because none of us are, but I am so amazed at what a great example they set of being “servant leaders”.

Last year when I attended the conference, I went simply because God said “go”. I really had no idea why I was going. The conference was for speakers and writers, and though I’d done a little bit of speaking, and a little bit of writing, I was primarily a worship leader. So, last year, I spent most of the time walking around asking God, “why am I here?” Even so, what I left the conference with last year was an extreme love for these ladies. Colossians 1:8 “He is the one who told us about the love for others that the Holy Spirit has given you” NLT

I have written in earlier posts telling about how I feel called to this ministry. What I haven’t put on this blog is that things have been set in motion for me to join Proverbs 31 Ministries as a worship leader. I guess God did have a plan when he sent this worship leader to a speaker and writer’s conference.

This year my attitude was different. I still went because God said “go”, but this year I was excited about seeing people. I was excited about seeing those whom I had established relationships with. I did the intermediate speakers track, and I wasn’t nearly as nervous this year primarily because I didn’t care. That was the attitude that Kathy and I both had…we truly didn’t care. I don’t mean I don’t care as in “I could care less about this”. But I don’t care as in “whatever you do Lord is fine.” I don’t care as in “it’s all about you Jesus, and I trust you with my life.”

My favorite part of this year was a visit to the prayer room. Paula, Sara, Kathy and I decided to go into the prayer room. We thought we were going to go in there and pray together regarding a Bible study that we feel led to do this fall. But when we got in there, it was very quiet and people were sitting around praying quietly by themselves, and we didn’t want to disturb them. So after prayerfully walking around the room for a while, we each took a seat, and prayed by ourselves. I really thought that I would just sit down, and pray briefly, and get back up to go to the hotel room to rest. Instead, what happened was, I found myself pouring out my heart and saying, “all I want is you God, I don’t care about the anything else…I just want you.” And I got Him. Powerfully. Strongly. Lovingly. I got Him. I wept at the awesomeness of His presence as HE filled me with His love. Amazing.

I sat there for what seemed to be a long time, though it probably wasn’t. I left the prayer room, but I didn’t leave God…the time with God continued in our hotel room. His loving presence was so strong that I could not stop crying…I cried for the next hour, as He continued to consume me with His love…

Isn’t it great to know that you don’t have to go to a Christian Conference hundreds of miles away to be filled with His love…to experience God…but that we can do that right here…right now…



2 comments :

Kathy said...

Folks, when she says she kept on cryin' believe it...I saw it! You might say that was a theme in our hotel room, right Missy? :-) In all seriousness, though, how cool that the song you included on this post captures that feeling so eloquently. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your "WOW!" "She Speaks" was awesome! I was a first-time attender this year and went for the women in leadership and writer's track. God blessed me in so many ways at this conference. The women who run P31 are truly wonderful, and their heart for God is evident.