Friday, July 20, 2007

He Knows Our Thoughts...Part 1

I just received an e-mail from someone regarding my previous post. In it she asked, "why do you feel that God is so close to you today?" In this particular case, I feel that God is close today because He's teaching me a lesson. Something that I've actually already known, but He's taking me to a deeper understanding of it. This lesson is easy for me to understand, because I'm living through it right now, however, it might be hard for me to articulate, but I'll try...and as always, His lessons are deep and wide, so within one initial lesson...comes many lessons. Here we go...

Psalm 139:2 "He perceives my thoughts from afar" (NIV) "I'm an open book to You. Even from a distance You know what I'm thinking" (The Message)

The other day, it was bedtime, and I went into our oldest son’s room to say a prayer. I laid my hand gently on his head, and said, “Lord, protect Him”, and then I told him goodnight.

As I turned to walk out of the room the Lord said to me, in a very loving way, “you can ask me for anything you want.”

He spoke SO clearly to my spirit that I literally stopped, and stood there for a moment. The sudden stop was so noticeable that my son said, “Mom, what’s wrong?”

I turned to him, fighting back the tears, and said, “evidently, Will, I have gotten into a habit of just asking God to protect you. As I was walking out of your room, God said to me, ‘you can ask me for anything you want’. Like, for instance, I can ask Him for wisdom for you, I can ask Him for guidance thru your teen years, I can ask Him that he would give you clear revelation, that you would know Him more…He was reminding me that I can ask Him for anything I want for you.”

As I left Will’s room, I was reminded of a bookmark that I used to have that had a whole list of scriptures to pray over your children. I wondered, for about a week, where that bookmark was. I never actually stopped to LOOK for it, or pray about it, I just thought, “hmmm…I wonder where that bookmark is.”

Well, this morning, I was getting ready for work, and our dog went behind our bed, I could see her hind end, and I could hear her chewing on something, so I stooped down to see what the dog had. As I stooped down and looked behind the bed, there behind the bed, almost as if God had shone a spotlight on it, was the bookmark that I had been thinking about.

I immediately said, “God, you are amazing. You even orchestrate the dog going behind the bed, so that I can find the bookmark that I’d been thinking about”. This was obviously, a bookmark that God wanted me to have. Scriptures, that God wants us to pray for our children.

I had not prayed about this, but He knew I was thinking about it, and He answered.

"I am an open book to You, even from a distance, You know what I'm thinking."

There's more...but in the meantime, I thought you might like to have access to the info that was on that bookmark...click here for awesome Biblical truths to pray for your children. There's 31 prayers...one for each day of the month...

2 comments :

Paula said...

WOW! I love this so much that I'm going to pray these with Caleb. He is such a great prayer warrior and this will help me to teach him a new way to pray!

Kathy said...

I got teary-eyed when you got to the part about God speaking to you and then going back in to talk to Will. POWERFUL! I get lazy in my kid-prayers and that was a great reminder to step up to the throne boldy on their behalf. I don't think I'll ever forget that image you painted...Thanks.