I remember sitting on our front porch this past summer with my friend Jennifer. At the time, there was a huge, overgrown perennial sitting right in front of us. I said to Jennifer, "I hate that overgrown perennial and I want to cut it back. I can't see a thing when I'm sitting here because that plant blocks my view. Denny, however, loves the plant and he won't allow me to cut it because he can sit here and it hides him." Jennifer chuckled as she replied something to the effect of, "well, that pretty well sums up you and Denny doesn't it?" I think I must have looked at her as if she was brilliant, and said "yeah...it does." I tend to be outgoing, and want to see people and be with people, and Denny is much more of an introvert and is very satisfied spending time alone and out of the limelight.
Why is it that opposites attract?
We're both kind of neat freaks, but he's over the edge. For example, tonight before Bible study, I grabbed a handle full of "goldfish" to eat (yes, the kids have me hooked). Anyway, as I walked through the kitchen, I dropped one of the goldfish. Before I could turn around and pick it up off of the floor, he had picked it up. He does stuff like that all the time. He'll put things away before I'm even finished with them.
Today, I had lunch with him, and we were discussing how he likes practically no seasoning on his food... "bland". I like mine spicy.
When I'm in my car, I like to play the music LOUD...he, fortunately likes the same style of music, but he would prefer I play it a little softer.
He used to get mad at me every Sunday after church because I preferred to talk to people and he wanted to get home. We now drive separately.
However, as opposite as we seem to be, we seem to balance each other out. It seems like I see that a lot in relationships.
Even though we tend to annoy each other now and then, I think we've both come to appreciate, and even thank God that we're not exactly alike. But that his strengths are my weaknessess, and vice versa.
Anyway, this Valentine's Day I'm celebrating our differences. I'm thanking God that He made us that way, so that there's some order to our household! So that there's not a party every night with goldfish on the floor (me), or the other extreme of sitting alone every night reading books (Denny).
2 comments :
I'm sure that's why God put you together. It's like the corny line from Jerry Maquire..."You complete me." Shane and I are opposite in a lot of ways like that and I always remind myself, we complete each other. I need aspects of him to be my best and he needs aspects of me to be his best.
I love that you two drive separate cars-- totally have a visual of him bugging out while you gab the afternoon away! So, do the kids stay with you or go with him??
We are completely the same. So many times after church I will be deep in conversation with someone and will look up to find my entire family (now that's a crowd, mind you) standing off to the side, waiting. Staring at me as they wait.
So, yeah, I feel your pain!
Post a Comment