Thursday, July 2, 2009

Good Day - Good Hugs

"He fills my life with good things." Psalm 103:5 NLT

When I was younger I never liked to hug people. I'm not sure why, but it was out of my comfort zone. Though I still slip into that mode from time to time, I can tell you that MOST of the time I appreciate a good hug. You know the kind of hug I'm talkin' about? Not the kind where you're just huggin' 'cause it seems like that's what you're supposed to do, but a genuine, heart felt, full fledged hug. I typically get those from my husband and my kids, but today I was pleasantly surprised and blessed by three other good hugs.

First, I met my friend Christa for lunch. I haven't seen her in a while, and it was genuinely good to see her...hug #1. A good hug.

Then after lunch, I had broken my sunglasses (I don't think that happened during the hug. ha.) Anyway, I needed to buy a new pair, so I made what I thought was going to be a quick trip into Walgreens. I picked out my sunglasses and went to pay for them. As I was paying, the cashier said, "these are buy one get one free today." A good day. So, I quickly ran back to get another pair. As I was looking, I heard a voice say, "Hey, what are you doing?" I looked up to find my friend Priscilla. I used to work with her at TV-2 (NBC). We were good friends, but I have not seen her for probably three or four years. I was so glad to see her. Hug #2. A good hug.

THEN, as Priscilla and I were talking, she glanced away for a moment to say Hello to someone, I looked at who she was talking to, and was so pleasantly surprised to see another gal that I used to work with at TV-2! Her name is Phyllis. She was the Program Director at TV-2, when I was a new/young salesperson there. She looked at me, and said "oh my gosh!" enter in hug #3. A good hug. It was wonderful to see her. I think it's been ten years since the last time I saw Phyllis.

So what started out as a quick trip to buy sunglasses, ended up being 30 minutes talking with good friends. A good day.

THEN, to top off my already good day, when I got back to the station, my boss said, "since it's a holiday weekend, you can go ahead and go home now."

Good hugs. Good day.

2 comments :

Unknown said...

good hugs are the best!

someone said...

I can relate. I can remember one of those 'good hugs' we had shared once.... it was a long time ago, but I can still remember it.

I was getting ready to walk out of the bathroom just as you were walking in and just in that moment you opened up your arms great big and gave me a big hug. I miss those...