Here lately, I've been trying to maintain a peaceful attitude even in the midst of chaos. This is a little exercise that God has been working on with me for about the past two months, 'cause just because life gets crazy, doesn't mean I have to. Can you relate? Amen.
It started in my personal worship time.
Often times in my personal worship time, I'll just sit at a piano and play, and sing whatever is on my heart. (sorry, if you were at church yesterday, you've already heard this part of the story).
Anyway, as I would worship, I just kept singing the same words over and over, "I want to slow down, cease striving, and soak up your love." That was my prayer.
Understand, I realize that sometimes regardless of how hard we try, life just doesn't slow down. It doesn't always cooperate in that manner.
Take last Thursday for instance. I had already been swamped all day. On top of a million other things that happened that day, we had produced a commercial for a client, and did so in accordance with the client's specifications.
The commercial was scheduled to air the next day. At 4:30 I got a call from the client letting me know that there was an error in the spot. Admittedly her fault, but nevertheless, it could not air the way it was.
It was too late to pull the scheduled commercial off of the log for the next day, though we could send a corrected version if we could get it done by 5. However, another problem was that the guy who always cuts this client's audio was already off for the day, and the audio needed re cut.
Panic. Or not?
I chose the latter. Mentally I chose to not panic, and prayed instead.
Fortunately, our Houdini commercial director, Ron, was able to edit pieces of the audio together to make it work...and it sounded completely natural. The problem was solved and I passed the test by maintaining peace in the midst of a chaotic situation. And can I tell you? That was so much more joyful that allowing my mind, body and emotions get tangled up in the chaos.
Do you struggle with this too? Maintaining a peaceful attitude in the midst of chaos?
As I type that I'm reminded of Paul and Silas. Thrown in jail for doing nothing wrong. I would consider that shake up in my life chaotic. And yet, Paul and Silas were found praying and singing hymns. They chose God instead of chaos. As a result, they went from being held captive by the jailer to being cared for by the jailer. Acts 16:25-34
Remember that when life gets chaotic, we dont' have to go there with it. We can trust Jesus to bring us peacefully through it.
2 comments :
Good morning my sweet friend! You were describing the last 2 months as chaos and that jogged my memory about a prior posting you had created. I'm not sure if you thought about it or not. You had posted on experiencing chaos not too long ago, but I didn't know how long that really was, so I looked through your past blog entries and I found it! You started this "Chaotic" Journey and posted on April 4. It's been five months, not two. My how time flies! But what is such a blessing is to see the Peace you have found and the decisiveness of how you will choose to respond. Even though you may still be seeking the "why." I love sharing your journey with you and your friendship is such a blessing! I'm so thankful God is the tie that binds our friendship.
I know you don't like music videos (smile) but I have the one for your song all worked out in my head and this post helped create it. :-)
Post a Comment