Thursday, November 27, 2008

So Grateful

This past Sunday, we had a guest speaker at our church, and something that he said has stayed with me. He asked if our church was a “safe place”. He posed these questions…

“If a homosexual couple came to your church, would you welcome them?”

“If a woman who had just got a divorce from her husband because she was having an affair with another man, and you knew it because she was the talk of the town…would you welcome her?”

He went on to say that studies indicate that these people aren’t coming to church because the church is too judgmental. (I think I already knew that) But it’s what he said next that really got me, and has stayed with me. He said that we (the church) expect people to act like Jesus before they even know Jesus.

He’s right. I’m sorry.

How opposite that is to how Jesus loved people. How opposite that is to the very nature of God. For God showed His great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. Romans 5:8

While we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Romans 5:6

Father, Help us to love like you love. Help us to reach out like you reach out. Help us to be a safe place where anyone can come and learn about you, and fall in love with you.

I’m so grateful that He didn’t wait for me to get my act together before he reached out to me.

That’s what I’m celebrating this Thanksgiving.

“so now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God…all because of what our Lord Jesus Christ has done for us in making us friends of God.” Romans 5:11


Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
Ones that are far beyond my reach.
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
(Brandon Heath song)


4 comments :

JenniferLayne said...

I just love you.

Jen K said...

I can safely say that, from my own personal experience, what you said here is 100% on the money & I thank you for this post! I'm thankful that, in spite of judgmental people & harsh Christian critics, somehow...Jesus finds a way to show himself to those who need him. There was a time in my life (in college) where I absolutely avoided church like the plague because I felt like a few people were looking down there noses at me & absolutely condemning me for even being there. I pray that I will never become a stumbling block or deterrent for any soul who is in need of Him.

GREAT thoughts & thanks for sharing!

Joanie Butler said...

What wonderful fuel for thought. The question is, "What can we do to overcome and make a change?" As we look toward a new year we are trying to plan for women's ministry. I would like to offer some things that would draw people into church. So, my prayer is, "Dear Lord, soften my heart to be compassionate and sensitive to the needs around me. May I do your will."

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

"while we were yet sinners...)- sometimes just one word in a sentence ("while") can make all the difference!