Last night, or should I say this morning, I woke up at 2:30 EST and I could NOT go back to sleep. I started flipping thru the news channels, and ended up watching a replay of the days inauguration events. I had been swamped all day, so I hadn't seen even five minutes of it.
I ended up being enthralled by it. By all the pomp and circumstance. It was neat to see all of the former presidents being introduced, and the media, as well as the country, seemingly honoring them, and paying them respect instead of tearing them down. I'm glad we have freedom of speech, but I wish it was done more respectfully. I, just like the next person, don't agree with every move of every politician, but all the bashing of our political leaders by the media has gotten a little out of hand. (in my opinion) (thinking primarily of the total disrespect shown to President Bush in his final days in office)
I watched as they scanned the crowd of 2 million people, and showed many in tears. I watched as they showed the many responses from people literally around the world, who also were in tears. I watched and listened as one commentator said of our new President, "He is not just the President of the United States, in many ways he is the World's President". Wow.
Please hear my heart as I say, if people are in tears because he's the first African American President, and they're moved by that, I understand that, and I'm moved too. If people are in tears because they're moved by all of the pomp and circumstance of it, I understand that, and I'm moved too. If people are in tears because they like him, and they're excited for he and his family, and the the new life that he brings to Washington, I understand that, I believe that he's a very likeable guy. If he has brought a renewed hope to some, I understand that...BUT if people are in tears because they have put their hope in him...that bothers me. I don't think it's fair to him. I don't feel like our hope should be in a man, for our sake, for the man's sake, and for Christ's sake.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.
-Psalm 118:8-9
1 Timothy 6:17Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.
Support and pray for our President, but put your hope in God.
4 comments :
Amen, sister!
Very well said....... Thank you!
yes, Yes, YES!!!
Well said. I totally agree!
Post a Comment