Friday, February 20, 2009

Chief of Sinners...

There is a teaching that I have on CD by Jentezen Franklin that I just absolutely love, and everytime I hear it, it just melts me.

He's talking about the Apostle Paul.

In 59 AD, Paul says in his letter to the Corinthian church, "I am the least of the Apostles."

Five years later, in 64 AD, he says to the church at Ephesus, "I am the least of the Saints."

One year later, while talking to Timothy, he says, "I feel like I'm the chief of sinners."

Understand this. First Paul says, I am least of the Apostles. Just five years later he says, I am least of the Saints. In other words, I'm not just least of the Apostles, but I'm least of all Christians. One year later, he says, I'm not just least of the Apostles, and least of the Saints, but I feel like I'm the chief of sinners."

You see, most of us, when we first come to church, we feel like we're the "chief of sinners". but then we move on, we graduate, and we become the least of the Saints...and then we move on and we graduate, and we become the least of the Apostles...and we keep making ourself "bigger"...

But not Paul. The more he walked with God, the closer he became to God, the more he served the Lord, the smaller and purer he became. Paul became less, God became more. He didn't get puffed up, but just the opposite, the closer he became to God, the more he realized his own unworthiness...if not for God's grace.

Father, thank you for your grace. In serving you, may we be like Paul. Not becoming puffed up, but serving humbly. More of You Lord, and less of us. Yet not feeling condemed, just feeling free to serve you, knowing we can trust where You lead, making more of You and less of us.

1 comment :

Kathy said...

AMEN! That is my communion prayer--that when I take in the elements of Christ's body and blood that he "grows" within me...that I become less and less and He becomes more and more. I think I'd love to borrow that CD. (you know, not that that's a hint or anything) ;-)