Friday, June 26, 2009

Building Altars

"Build altars in the places where I remind you who I am, and I will come and bless you there." Exodus 20:24

Building altars...do you ever build altars?

Several years ago, I was at a Karen Wheaton concert. I love to hear Karen both sing AND speak. I've seen her a few times, and every time I've been greatly blessed by her words and music. Anyway, at this one particular concert, she was speaking of building altars. One thing she said was that when God meets her in a special way through His Word, she marks it, dates it, and writes out to the side of the scripture what it was that God spoke to her about there.

It's been several years since I heard Karen say that, and ever since then, I too have "built altars" in that way. If you look at my Bible, you'll see many places highlighted with a "name" or a "word" out to the side that indicates/reminds me of how God met me in that place. Not just that place in the Bible, but at that place in my life.

Sometimes it's not just the Bible that God speaks to me through, sometimes it's people, or circumstances. When those times happen, I journal what God has said to me.

"write down for the record everything I have said to you..." Jeremiah 30:2

"build altars in the places where I remind you who I am and I will come and bless you there"

I have found the last part of that verse to be SO true, for I can tell you that as I read thru my Bible, and run across one of my "altars", I am reminded of how God met me at that point in my life, and in being reminded, my faith is refreshed, and He does indeed come and bless me there.




3 comments :

Jill Herald said...

Thank you for sharing what Karen Wheaton once shared with you and then sharing how you applied this and have been blessed by the reminders of who God is and what He has done throughout your life. I absolutely love this!!! I journal and have records of God speaking to me and His movement in my life, but I didn't have these verses to bring a new perspective to my journaling. Thank you so very much for taking time to share!!

Kathy said...

Amen, AMEN! You and I have talked about this before--it's SO powerful! And it keeps us grateful. It's crazy how apt we are to forget how God has met us unless we're reminded through these alters. And like JHerald said above, journals are a great way of doing that too--AND blogs!
:-)

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Great Post Melissa. I love those verses! I was just telling my husband last night that one of my greatest joys is writing down what the Lord tells me.

Even if I never had a book published, I'd still have to write.

Off to record those verses and ponder your post.

Sweet Blessings friend~
Lysa