While every other blog in the universe is talking about Christmas…I’m gonna talk about relationships, because that’s what God has been talking to me about.
This past week, I’ve been reminded of just how important our relationships are to God. I’ve been reminded thru the book I’m reading currently, as well as in Sunday school this week as we talked about this passage of scripture:
Matthew 5:21-22"You're familiar with the command to the ancients, 'Do not murder.' I'm telling you that anyone who is so much as angry with a brother or sister is guilty of murder. Carelessly call a brother 'idiot!' and you just might find yourself hauled into court. Thoughtlessly yell 'stupid!' at a sister and you are on the brink of hellfire. The simple moral fact is that words kill.” The Message
Now, I know God is speaking of a MUCH broader spectrum of relationships, than just what I’m mentioning here today, but, this is a few ways I’ve applied that verse to my life this week.
Last night, I dropped Denny and Maren off at Wal-Mart, and I went thru the McDonald’s drive thru to get a drink. I waited in line for what seemed to be an eternity. There was only one car ahead of me, and I don’t know what he ordered, but it took forever! I wondered why they didn’t have him pull forward so they could give me my sprite, but just as I was starting to get angry about it, and start calling them “idiots” under my breath, I remembered this passage of scripture. So, instead of getting mad, it made me laugh….but, God wasn’t done testing me yet.
I then had to drop something off at a friend’s house, and get back to pick Denny and Maren up before they were done shopping. So, time was a factor. After I finally got my sprite, I pulled out onto the road and got behind a truck that was going literally 20 mph down the highway…once again I noticed that I had a choice to make, be irritated, or patient. And instead of cursing them, I chuckled and said, “you’re really funny God…I get it. I get the lesson”. Not long after I said that, the truck speeded up to normal speed, almost as if God had arranged the whole thing just to make a point with me.
Today, at work, I’ve had to deal with someone in accounting. To be honest, every time she deals with us sales people, it’s because there is a problem. So, dealing with us is probably not very enjoyable for her. So I went out of my way to make it fun today, by being light hearted, and funny…because God cares about our relationships. In turn, working thru the accounting problems we were having became an enjoyable experience for me too.
Our relationships matter to Him. A lot. When asked what the greatest commandment is, Jesus answered, “love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself”.
The way Jesus put it, we express our love for God, not in pews, pulpits, stained-glass tones, or doctrinal hair-splitting, but in relationships among people. In the way you and I get along with him and her and them. If being with God on Sunday doesn’t make us better at shepherding people on Monday, then we’ve missed the point. (taken from the book, “They Smell Like Sheep” by Dr. Lynn Anderson)
So, as God is reminding me this week of how much He cares about our relationships with others, I thought I would pass that reminder along to you as well. Probably a good reminder to have during a season where we all gather together with extended family members. A reminder that God is watching, and He cares about our relationships. “For anyone who does not love his brother who he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen”. 1 John 4:20
Father God, help me to be mindful of how I care for and treat others, I don't want to speak "words that Kill". I want to speak words that encourage, words that will build others up, not tear them down. Thanks for this reminder Jesus...Holy Spirit, guide me.
1 comment :
I love it! This actually goes along the lines of the devo for Friday's Olive Branch. More unity in spirit among the women's ministry, Amen? God is so good.
(And didn't Dr. Lynn Anderson also write the country song "I Never Promised you a Rose Garden"? I remember it from when I was a child!) LOL!
Post a Comment