Sunday, December 30, 2007

That's the last time I say I'm bored

Last night Denny, Maren and I were sitting in the living room talking about how bored we were when we got a call from my stepdad. "Missy", he said. "I've got your Mom over here at the hospital. We think she might be having a heart attack." That ended the boredom pretty quickly.

We quickly changed out of our jammies, and made a mad rush to the emergency room. When we arrived she was still in quite a bit of pain, but her vitals seemed pretty good. They had given her nitro for the heart, and morphine for the pain. She was able to carry on a regular conversation with us.

We went back over this morning, and found her in MUCH less pain, and much more like herself. Josh was being really funny while we were in there, and it was cracking her up. All the way over, Josh kept saying, "when we get there, I'm not saying anything. Even if she talks to me, I'm not saying anything." He was really nervous about talking to his Grandma in the hospital.
However, once we got there, he was anything but quiet.

For some reason, he wanted to know if she could go to the bathroom okay. I guess because she was hooked up to so many wires, he wasn't sure how she could get there with all that apparatus attached. She told him that they didn't really want her up, but she could get up to go to the bathroom. Then he wanted to know, if she got caught, would the hospital police come get her. We chuckled at his question, but he replied, "well, I don't know, I've never been to the hospital before." Which, thankfully, is true. So, we appreciated and respected his questions, and tried to answer them as seriously as possible.

He must have been in a questioning kind of mood, because after that, we went to the mall, and he continued to ask me questions like, "how did they put this floor down?" I answered, "one square at a time." then he asked, "How come that wall doesn't go all the way to the ceiling?", I said "i don't know Josh." He determined that maybe they ran out of wood. He was funny today.

Anyway, my Mom is back home now. All of her tests came back negative for heart attack. So she has to go back to the doctor later this week for more blood work and a stress test. Please keep her in your prayers.

1 comment :

Kathy said...

I LOVE having kids around in these situations because they're great at breaking up the tension. I can just see Josh doing all of this. I'm so glad your mom's on the upswing.